Images of Newstead Abbey


The Upper Lake, where the poet used to swim with his dogs Boatswain and Lyon. The fort is one of two built by the fifth Lord Byron, who used to indulge in mock naval battles on the lake with a fleet of small vessels, including a 20-gun ship.


West front of the Abbey


The Spanish Garden


The walled Rose Garden, formerly the old kitchen garden of the Abbey.


West View c.1815- watercolour by unknown artist